Climbing the Mountain

Welcome to Darrell's weblog. Here you will find inspirational writings and some of my thoughts on our world. I am a faithful Catholic. My views are orthodox and mystical, and I believe in the Tradition and Authority of the Church. My writings reflect this.

Name:
Location: Arizona, United States

Monday, December 04, 2006

Apostle Paul in Prison

By Rembrandt



Back in September, I was looking for a picture to go with my thoughts for “See the Light.” I searched the internet for an image of Paul on the road to Damascus, and I could only find two. One was like a cartoon, simplistic and suitable really for only a child’s book. The other I posted: a black and white drawing of Paul, fallen from his horse and shielding his eyes from the intense light, and we see an image of Christ in the light. The artist is unknown to me, or I would give him or her credit.

I looked through hundreds of other paintings, drawings, and icons, but I knew that Rembrandt’s painting of the “Apostle Paul in Prison” was the right one to use. Some weeks later, I sat studying this portrayal of Saint Paul, and I was struck with how masterfully the artist had captured the character of the Apostle.

This is my comfort in affliction, your promise that gives me life.
--Psalms 119: 50

The first thing we see is that Paul is sitting in a dark prison cell, but the Apostle is not in darkness, he is in the light. He is an old man, and so this must be soon before he is to be executed. But there is no fear or despair in his face. In fact, when I look at his face, I can easily imagine him dressed in a black suit with a yarmulke and a prayer shawl; he looks like a rabbi to me. I see kindness and gentleness and thoughtfulness in his countenance. And like a rabbi, the old Apostle spends his day in prayer and contemplation of the scriptures.

Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light for my path…
Truly I love your commands more than the finest gold.
--Psalms 119: 105 and 127

We see a sword in the shadow off to the side. We are reminded that Paul who was Saul once persecuted the Christians, even to death. But the sword has been put aside, and we see in Paul’s hands parchment and a writing instrument. And we see the sacred texts piled close beside him.

Though distress and anguish come upon me, your commands are my delight.
--Psalms 119: 143

Finally, we see that the Apostle has one shoe on, and one shoe off, symbolic that Paul has one foot in this world, and one in the next. Indeed, in his Letter to the Philippians, Paul writes:

For to me life is Christ, and death is gain. If I go on living in the flesh, that means fruitful labor for me. And I do not know which I shall choose. I am caught between the two. I long to depart this life and be with Christ, (for) that is far better. Yet that I remain (in) the flesh is more necessary for your benefit. And this I know with confidence, that I shall remain and continue in the service of all of you for your progress and joy in the faith, so that your boasting in Christ Jesus may abound on account of me when I come to you again.
--Chapter 1: 21 -26