Climbing the Mountain

Welcome to Darrell's weblog. Here you will find inspirational writings and some of my thoughts on our world. I am a faithful Catholic. My views are orthodox and mystical, and I believe in the Tradition and Authority of the Church. My writings reflect this.

Name:
Location: Arizona, United States

Friday, December 22, 2006

Anticipation


Advent is a season of anticipation, a time of joyous expectation and devotion as we prepare to celebrate the birth of Christ. My children are certainly excited. Dusty is already keeping tabs on the brightly wrapped packages that are accumulating under our Christmas tree, and little Isabella looks in wonder and fascination at the lights and ornaments.

Wednesday at work, I was talking with my friend Maryann, a nursing assistant who moved to the United States from Kenya about four years ago. I asked her if she missed Africa, and she told me no. “What I miss is church in Kenya,” she said. “In Kenya, all week long everyone looks forward to going to church on Sunday. In America, the ballgame is church; Hollywood is church. In America, everyone talks about the ballgame or the movie. In my country, in Kenya, everyone talks about how great God is and what He has done for them in their lives.”

I told Maryann that this devotion to God reminded me of Medjugorje. “In Medjugorje,” I told her, “everyone goes to Mass every day, the whole village. This is what the whole world is supposed to be like. If the whole world had this devotion to God, if everyone were putting God in the first place in their lives, then we would not be confronted with the things this world is now facing.”

Blessed the nation whose God is the LORD.
--Psalms 33: 12

Maryann’s words about American society’s values ring true to me. In our neighborhood, the houses are brightly lit with icicle lights, and the yards are decorated with mechanical deer and giant inflatable snow men and snow globes. Sadly, the Nativity in my front yard is the only one on the block. And I can see this conflict of values reflected in the understanding of my eight-year-old son.

Last week, Dusty and his Mom went to see THE NATIVITY STORY (I stayed home with Isabella who had a nasty case of the pink eye). Liane told me that after the show was over, Dusty said, “That was a really good movie!” It was very encouraging for me to know that Dusty was excited to see this film about the birth of Jesus, a story that we’ve read and talked about many times. I’m very encouraged that he understands what Christmas is really about. On the other hand, he is very excited about the presents…

A few days ago, I watched THE NATIVITY STORY. It was incredible. While the film was not without flaws (especially regarding Catholic teaching about Blessed Mary)…

Mary set out in those days and traveled to the hill country in haste
to a town of Judah, where she entered the house of Zechariah and greeted Elizabeth.
When Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting, the infant leaped in her womb,
and Elizabeth, filled with the Holy Spirit, cried out in a loud voice and said,
“Most blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb.
And how does this happen to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?
For at the moment the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the infant in my womb leaped for joy.
Blessed are you who believed that what was spoken to you by the Lord would be fulfilled.”
Mary said:
“My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord;
my spirit rejoices in God my savior.
for he has looked upon his lowly servant.
From this day all generations will call me blessed:
the Almighty has done great things for me,
and holy is his Name.
He has mercy on those who fear him
in every generation.
He has shown the strength of his arm,
and has scattered the proud in their conceit.
He has cast down the mighty from their thrones
and has lifted up the lowly.
He has filled the hungry with good things,
and the rich he has sent away empty.
He has come to the help of his servant Israel
for he remembered his promise of mercy,
the promise he made to our fathers,
to Abraham and his children for ever.”
--Luke 1: 39-56

…I found the movie inspiring. The portrayal of St. Joseph was brilliant! Mary and Joseph believed what the Lord had spoken to them, and as they went on their journey, we saw Joseph’s integrity, strength, and resolve. We saw the relationship between Mary and Joseph developing based on devotion to God, trust and virtue.

Another part of THE NATIVTY STORY that I really liked was the portrayal of the three kings. They recognized the signs of their times, and they traveled over deserts and mountains and barren plains, enduring many hardships, all the time anticipating the birth of the Lord of Lords, the Priest of Priests, and the King of Kings. And when they presented their gifts to the newborn Christ Child, the sense of wonder and awe and holiness…

As I ponder on these things, I ask myself, “What gifts am I bringing to Our Lord?” As for me, the thing I am most looking forward to on Christmas day is going to the Christ-Mass.

I wish for all of us to embrace the true Spirit of the season as we anticipate this most joyous and Holy Day. Have a Blessed Christmas!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Darrell,

I learned of you from the Catholicplanet discussion site. I have enjoyed your blogging. I can relate to you say. I look forward to your next blog.

5/09/2007 6:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home