Climbing the Mountain

Welcome to Darrell's weblog. Here you will find inspirational writings and some of my thoughts on our world. I am a faithful Catholic. My views are orthodox and mystical, and I believe in the Tradition and Authority of the Church. My writings reflect this.

Name:
Location: Arizona, United States

Friday, March 24, 2006

Love is...

We say it all the time: I love you… But what does that mean really? Probably most of us, when we hear those words – I love you – think of romantic love, a concept we probably developed from books and movies. This idea of being in love, where we become so enthralled with another person that our thoughts are consumed and all we can think about is being with the person we’re in love with. Romantic love is real, and it can be wonderful. It’s all about feelings and emotions. But that’s not what real love is. Love is not a warm fuzzy. Love is not about feelings.

One day not too long ago, I was standing in line to receive our Lord in Holy Communion. I had just been to confession, and I was thinking about how I was feeling. See how selfish I can be? I was thinking about myself instead of praying for others… Suddenly, I felt Jesus speaking to me in my heart: It’s not about feeling, it’s about doing.

Love is not about feelings. Real love is about giving and sacrifice.

Love is smiling at a passing stranger.

Love is giving up a lucrative career to be a stay-at-home mom.

Love is spending less time at the gym or playing in a racquetball league and spending more time playing tag with the kids in the back yard.

Love is getting up at two in the morning with a sick child when you haven’t slept in two days.

Love is spending less on your clothes, hair, and makeup or eating out and using the money you saved to support a child in a third world country.

Love is slowing down on the freeway to let that other driver in front of you.

Love is a young Marine throwing himself on a live grenade to save the lives of his comrades.

Love is giving up the craft room or home gym you had planned for the kid’s bedrooms now that they’re off to college and taking in foster children instead.

Love is giving up another trip to Medjugorje and paying to send someone else who really wants to go but can’t afford to.

Love is driving an economy car instead of a luxury sedan or tricked out SUV and giving the money you save to the local soup kitchen or homeless shelter.

Love is spending less time at happy hour or shopping and spending more time volunteering at the local soup kitchen or homeless shelter.

Love is about sacrifice, and if we are not giving until it hurts, then it is not sacrifice.

THE CORPORAL WORKS OF MERCY
Feed the hungry.
Give drink to the thirsty.
Give clothing to the naked.
Shelter the homeless.
Care for the sick.
Visit the imprisoned.
Bury the dead.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home